This quiz is useful for the aspirants of Library Science. Students appearing for UGC NET, SLET, KVS Librarian and NVS Librarian and DSSSB Librarian etc. can practice these exams. This is designed to give conceptual clarity.
For other quizzes on Library Science, kindly visit the page here.
Source : IGNOU B.Lib Material
DATA ELEMENTS IN DIFFERENT TYPES OF ENTRIES
#1. Expand IFLA.
#2. Expand ISBD.
#3. When was the International Conference on Cataloguing Principles held?
#4. Where was the International Conference on Cataloguing Principles held?
#5. Where was the International Meeting of Cataloguing Experts (IMCE) held at?
#6. When was the International Meeting of Cataloguing Experts (IMCE) held at?
#7. How many areas were identified by the International Standard Bibliographic Description (ISBD) for the description of a document?
The International Standard Bibliographic Description (ISBD) identified the following eight areas for the description of a document:
Title and statement of responsibility area
Material(or type of publication) specific details area
Physical description area
Standard number and terms of availability area
#8. Who is the author of Introduction to Cataloguing and Classification?
DATA ELEMENTS IN A DICTIONARY CATALOGUE ( Please note that the below questions are based on AACR-2R)
#9. Author or other person or Corporate Body chosen as main entry in..
#10. What forms the body of the entry
#11. Place of manufacture, name of manufacturer, date of manufacture comes in which area..
#12. Dimensions of a document are written in which area?
#13. ISBN or ISSN details are written in which area?
The structure of a Main Entry with the eight parts and the paragraphs and elements
therein is described by Wynar as under:
A)Author or other person or Corporate Body chosen as main entry.
b)Title, if (A) can not be ascribed.
II BODY OF THE ENTRY (first paragraph).
A) Title and statement of responsibility area
Title proper (including alternative title, if any).
General Material Designation (GMD).
Parallel title(s), other title information, if any.
Statement (s) of responsibility.
B) Edition area
1) Edition statement (named, numbered, or a combination of the two).
2) Statements of responsibility relating to the edition, but not to all editions.
C) Material (or type of publication) specific details area
1) For cartographic materials, statements of scale and projection.
2) For serial publications, numerical and/or alphabetical designation.
(e.g., No.1-) and/or chronological designation (e.g., 1967- ).
D) Publication, distribution etc., area
1) Place of publication, distribution, etc.
2) Name of publisher, distributor, etc.
3) Statement of function of publisher, distributor, etc., (e.g., production
company) when necessary for clarity.
4) Date of publication, distribution, etc., including copyright date, if
5) Place of manufacture, name of manufacturer, date of manufacture, if
name of publishes is unknown.
III) PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION AREA (second paragraph)
1) Extent of item (e.g., number of pages, volumes, discs, frames, etc.)
2) Other physical details (e.g. illustrative material, playing speed,
material of which made).
3) Dimensions ((e.g., height, diameter).
4) Accompanying material (e.g., teacher’s guide, separate maps).
IV) SERIES AREA, if any (following physical description area as continuation
of second paragraph).
1) Title proper of series, parallel title(s), other title information.
2) Statement(s) of responsibility relating to series.
3) ISSN of series.
4) Numbering within series.
6) Second and following series, each in its own set of parentheses.
V) NO’T’E AREA (each note is a separate paragraph). Necessary data that can
not be incorporated in the above parts of the record.
VI) STANDARD NUMBER AND TERMS OF AVAILABILITY AREA
(paragraph following last note).
1) Standard number (e.g., ISBN, ISSN)
2) Key-title of a serial
3) Terms of availability (e.g., price, or for whom available).
VII) TRACING (Separate paragraph)
Added entries for joint authors, editors etc.
Tile added entry or entries.
Series added -entry or entries.
VIII) CALL NUMBER (formatted in upper left corner of entry or on line
1) Classification number.
2) Cutter number and work mark, if any.
#14. Physical description about a document in a catalogue entry is called.....
#15. Information about series is given in ..
Our Recent Posts:
- Current Affairs – 30 November 2023
- Current Affairs – 29 November 2023
- Current Affairs – 28 November 2023
- Current Affairs – 26 & 27 November 2023
- Current Affairs- 25 November 2023