The questions will be testing the depth of understanding and application of the concepts
at the level of Graduation.
Syllabus forthepost of -Librarian
The questions will be testing the depth of understanding and application ofthe concepts
at the level of Graduation.
I.Foundation of Library &InformationScience.
- Library as an Social Institution
-Social &Historicalfoundations of Library.
- Different types of libraries- Academic,Public, Special -their distinguishing
features and functions.
- Role of U.G.C. for developmentof Academic libraries.
- Role in Library of formal and informal education.
Shivaji University, Kolhapur
- Normative Principles of Lib. & Inf. Science
– Five Laws of Library Science.
Implications of five laws in Lib. & Inf. Science
- Development of Libraries with special reference to India, Baroda
Public Library system
Library Co-operation Resource Sharing and Library Networking.
3. Laws relating to Libraries& Inforamion.
Library legislation need and essential features.
Library legislation in India.
MaharashtraPublic Library Act.
Press and registrationact & Delivery of Books act (Public Library).
Copyright act, Intellectual Property rights.
4. Library and information Profession
Attribution of profession.
Librarianship as a profession.
Professional associations &their role.
National & International Library Associations- FID, IFLA, LA,
ILA, ALA, IASLIC etc.
- Professional education & research.
- Promotersof Library & Information services
- National level promoters- RRRLF.
International level promoters- UNESCO
- Public relations &Extension activities
- facets and programs.
publicity & extension, Out reach activities.
Library path finders (Guides)
Factors affecting Library development,Literacy, publishing, Book Trade.
I1. Knowledge Organization, Information Processing & Retrieval.
- Universe of Knowledge
Structure and attributes.
Modes of formation of subjects.
- Different types of subjects.
-Universeof subjects asmapped in different schemes of
2. Bibliographic description
Catalogue purpose, Structure and types physical formsincluding
OPAC filling rules.
Normative Principles of cataloguing.
-Overview of principles and practice in document description.
- Current trends in Standardization, description and exchange.
Standard codes of cataloguing.
3.Methods of Knowledge Organization
- Generaltheory of Library Classification.
- Normativeprinciples of classification and their application.
-Speciesof Library Classification.
- StandardSchemes of Classifications and theirfeatures, CC, DDC,
Notation: Need, Functions, Characteristics
- Design and development of schemes of Library Classification,
-Trends in Library Classification.
4. Subject Classification
Principles of Subject Classification.
Subject heading lists and their feature.
II1. InformationTechnology: Basic
1. Information Technology
Definition, Need, Scope and Objectives.
2.Computer Basic (Hardware)
- Introduction to Computers
- Overview of Historical Development of Computers.
-Generationsof Computers, Classification of Computers.
Essential Components of Computer system.
3.Computer Architecture-Organization of Computer
Input and Outputdevices- Keyboard,Scanner,OCR, Printers,
-Operatingsystems:Single & Multi User Systems,Basic features
of MS-DOS, MS Windows, Linux, UNIX, Windows NT etc.
Programming Languages:Concepts and Tools
Algorithm & Flowcharting.
- Word Processors, Spread Sheetetc.
Familiarity with DBASE, FOXPRO, CDS/ISIS,SOUL, MS Access
7.Computer application to library &Information work –
House keeping operations
- Communication Technology
Communication Technology BasicConcepts
Networking: Basic Concepts.
IV.Management of Libraries &InformationCentres/Institutions
Concepts, definition and scope.
Management styles and approaches.
Management schools of thought.
Functionsand principlesof Scientific Management.
- Human ResourceManagement
Delegation, Communicationand Participation.
Job Description and Analysis, Job evaluation.
Training and Development.
-Disciplines and Grievances.
- Financial Management
Budgeting Techniquesand Methods PPBS,Zero Based Budgeting
Cost effectiveness and Cost Benefit analysis.
Types of reports, Annual report-compilation, Contents and style.
Library Statistics etc.
- System Analysis and Design
-Library asa system
Project Management PERT/COM
Performanceevaluation standards, MIS.
- PerformanceMeasurement,reengineering, Time and Motion
SWOT ( Strength Weakness Opportunities Threat)
DFD (Data Flow Diagram)
6.Total Quality Management (TQM)
Definition, Concept, Element
-Quality Audit, LIS related standards.
- Library House Keeping Operations.
- Different sections of Library & Information Center and their
-Collection Developmentand Management Policies Procedures.
Book Ordering (Acquisition)
- Technical Processing.
Serials Control, Circulation Control, Maintenanceetc.
Stock Verification- Policies and Procedures.
Restoration including Print, Non-Print and Electronic Materials.
- Concept,Definition, Need and Purpose, Types.
Policies and Procedures, MB0
Building and Space management in Libraries and Information
-Library Building, Interior& Exterior, Furniture, Equipment’s,
- Risk Management, Contingency Management.
Planning of related Infrastructure,Library Standards.
- Management of change.
concept of change.
changes in Procedures, Methods,Tools and Techniques.
Problems of Incorporating Change.
Techniques of Managing Change.
- Reference and information sources.
Documentary Sourcesof Information, Print, Non-Print including
Electronic: Special features, Scope, types
Nature, Characteristic, Utility and evaluation of different types of
Information sources: Physical formats, Authority, Content, Utility.
Non-Documentary Information Sources.
Reference SourcesCategories, Primary, Secondary & Tertiary
Information Sources.(Encyclopedia, Dictionary, Periodical,
Thesis, Books,Year book, Patents, Trade literature, standards,
Abstracting & Indexing periodicals, Bibliographies, Handbooks
Internet asa Sourceof Information.
- Reference Service.
Concept, Definition,Need, Scope and trends.
- Reference Interview and Search Techniques.
- Information Services and Products
Informationservices and Products.
Information services concepts,Definition, Need and trends.
Need, Techniquesand Evaluation of Alerting services (CAS
-Bibliographic, Referral, Document Delivery and Translation
- Information System and their Services.
Study of National, International and Commercial Information
Systems and Services- Background,their Services and Products.
VI. Library Users
- Techniquesof Library and Information Centres Survey.
Records analysis method.
2. Information users and their information Needs
Categories of Information users.
Information needs definition and models.
Information seeking behaviour.
- User Education
Goalsand Objectives level, Techniquesand Methods,Evaluation
of Users Education Programmes.
- User Studies.
Methods and techniques of User studies.
Evaluationof User studies.
- User Orientation Programmes:
-Conventional and modern Techniques: Studytour, Newsletters,
Handbooks,Leaflets, Powerpoint Presentation, Websitesetc