Karnataka ranked most innovative State by the National Manufacturing Innovation Survey 2021-22i.The 2nd edition of ‘National Manufacturing Innovation Survey (NMIS) 2021-22: Summary for Policymakers‘, a joint study by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), to evaluate the innovation performance of manufacturing firms in the India was released by Dr. Srivari Chandrasekhar, Secretary, DST, Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST).
ii.Karnataka, overall, is the most innovative State with index score of 33.41, followed by Dadra and Nagar Haveli & Daman and Diu (DNH&DD) (32.88), Telangana (32.86), and Tamil Nadu-TN (32.54).
About United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO):
Director General– Gerd Müller
Headquarters– Vienna, Austria
India sets foodgrain production target of 332 MT for 2023-24 crop yearThe Union Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare(MoA&FW), Government of India, has set a target of 332 million (3320 lakh) tonnes of production of foodgrains for the 2023-2024 crop year (July 2023-June 2024).
MoA&FW’s target includes the production of 29.25 MT of pulses, 44 MT of oilseed, and 17 MT of millets
- The target was released during the conference of State officials for the preparation of strategies amid the forecast of El Nino, inaugurated by the Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar.
MoA&FW noted the strategy to achieve the set targets is to increase the production area through inter-cropping and crop diversification and productivity enhancement through the introduction of high-yielding varieties, and adoption of suitable agronomic practices in low-yielding regions
i.The Union Minister stated that the agriculture sector has witnessed an average annual growth rate of 4.6 per cent over the last six years.
ii.The annual growth enables the agriculture and allied activities sectors to contribute to the overall economic growth of India.
iii.GoI has prioritised agro-ecological-based crop planning for the diversion of land from excess commodities such as rice and wheat to deficit commodities like oilseeds and pulses and high-value export-earning crops,
iv.Kailash Choudhary, Minister of State(MoS) for MoA&FW stated that following the celebration of 2023 as the International Year of Millets(IYM), the global demand for millets is set to rise.
- This will offer an opportunity to increase the production of millets, ensure efficient processing and consumption, promote better utilisation of crop rotations, and encourage better connectivity throughout food systems to promote millets as a key component of the food basket.
i.As per the second advance estimate for the crop year 2022-2023, The foodgrain production of India is estimated at 3235 lakh tonnes, up 7.9 MT compared to the crop year 2021-22.
ii.Record production has been estimated for rice, maize, gram, pulses, mustard, oilseeds, and sugarcane.
iii.The export of agri and allied sector have increased from USD 41.86 billion in 2020–21 to USD 50.24 billion in 2021–22.
Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs signs MoU with RITES as Technical Support Agency for Swachhata
On May 2, 2023, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with RITES Limited for technical assistance for Solid Waste Management (SWM) & UWM under Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U) 2.0.
- The Technical Support Unit (TSU) of RITES will assist SBM-U for a period of 3 years.
- The MoU will focus on accelerating Solid Waste and Used Water Management (UWM).
- Under UWM, RITES will provide technical support for standards & specification in the field of sewage and faecal sludge management and reuse, engineering design and process of waste water treatment units.
CMIE: Unemployment Rate Rises to 8.11% in April
According to the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE), India’s unemployment rate rose to a 4-month high in April 2023 at 8.11%, compared to 7.14% in March 2023.
- The Unemployment rate was 7.14% in January 2023, 7.45% in February 2023, and 7.8% in March 2023.
The Rural Unemployment rate declined to 7.34% in April 2023 from 7.47% in March 2023 and the Urban unemployment rate rose to 9.81% in April from 8.51% in March.
- The labour participation rate (LPR) increased slightly from 39.77% in March to 41.98% in April 2023.
- In India, there were 34.5 million unemployed people in March and 37.9 million in April. An extra 3.4 million individuals became unemployed.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh visited Maldives from 1st to 3rd May 2023Union Minister of Defence, Rajnath Singh, paid an official visit to Maldives from 1st to 3rd May 2023. During his 3 day visit, he held bilateral talks with Mariya Ahmed Didi, Minister of Defence of the Maldives and Abdulla Shahid, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Maldives.
He also called on President of Maldives Ibrahim Mohamed Solih and discussed on ongoing projects and ways to further strengthen defence ties
- During his visit, he handed over 2 naval vessels- Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) and a Landing Craft Assault ship, to the Maldives National Defence Forces (MNDF).
- He also joined Mariya Ahmed Didi in the foundation stone laying ceremony of MNDF Ekatha harbour in Male, Maldives.
Note: Rajnath Singh arrived in Male on 1st May 2023 at the invitation of Mariya Ahmed Didi.
President– Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
Currency– Maldivian Rufiyaa
Indian Army Conducted Buland Bharat Training Exercise at High Altitude Artillery Ranges of Eastern TheatreIndian Armed Forces conducted ‘Buland Bharat’, an integrated surveillance and firepower training Exercise, at the newly operationalised High Altitude Artillery Ranges of Eastern Theatre located in the West Kameng and Tawang districts of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Objective: To add coordination and speed towards the detection, destruction and depletion of the enemy’s war waging capabilities.
i.The training exercise involved the synergised application of surveillance and firepower capabilities of the Artillery and the Infantry in close coordination with Special Forces, Aviation and Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF).
ii.The exercise was conducted to test simulated war conditions in high altitude area.
iii.The exercise validated plans for bringing down integrated firepower by orchestrating synchronised firing by artillery guns and fire support components of Infantry, for destruction of designated targets.
iv.Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) are the Border Guarding Forces under the administrative control of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
v.The training exercise held after a month long training in which troops and equipment were tested in simulated war conditions in high altitude areas and extreme weather conditions.
vi.Uninterrupted communication on multiple media was also tested at long distances under the training exercise.
RBI’s Report On Currency And Finance 2022-23 Suggests Carbon Pricing system for India The report released by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Report On Currency And Finance 2022-23 on May 03, 2023, recommends India to introduce a broad-based carbon pricing system in line with emerging global best practices to meet the country’s climate goals.
- The theme of the report is – ‘Towards a Greener Cleaner India’,
- The report does not represent the views of the RBI, inturn it is based on the findings, views and conclusions of the contributors from the Department of Economic and Policy Research (DEPR).
Key Recommendations of the Report to India:
i.The carbon tax was suggested to be accompanied by complementary redistributive policies due to its regressive nature, in view of the inability of the weaker sections of the society to move to eco-friendly modes of production and patterns of consumption.
ii.The report also recommends introduction of an Emissions Trading System (ETS) linked to green taxonomy, covering all sectors of the economy, which can partly balance subsidy (less polluting industries getting carbon credits for trading) and tax (more polluting industries that should have to buy carbon certificates).
Note – According to the data released by RBI, India’s services exports increased by a record 26.6% in 2022-23 (FY23) to US$ 322 billion.
About Reserve Bank of India (RBI):
Governor– Shaktikanta Das
Deputy Governors – Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra, M. Rajeshwar Rao, T. Rabi Sankar
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Establishment – 1st April 1935
Cashfree Payments, YES Bank Partners to offer International payment collection service to Indian exportersIn May 2023, the Cashfree Payments have partnered with Yes Bank to offer ‘Global Collections’, an international collection service for Indian exporters with Yes Bank account, to simplify the way Indian exporters receive payments from across the world.
- The partnership will enable the Yes Bank account holders to collect payments in over 30 foreign currencies using the Global Collections service.
- After receiving the payments, the customer could convert the payments into rupee and settle into their local bank account in India within one business day.
i.The payments service will include dedicated facilities in four currencies (USD(United States dollar), GBP(Pound Sterling), EUR (euro) and CAD(Canadian dollar)).
ii.It also enables global collections in over 30 foreign currencies up to the equivalent of US$10,000 in line with the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI’s) Online Payment Gateway Service Providers (OPGSP) guidelines.
iii.The Global Collections will enable the exporters to have real-time access and control over their payments and collections journey.
iv.The exporters could share their payment collection details with their buyers over email, SMS or WhatsApp.
- The buyers could make payments using local rails like Automated Clearing House (ACH), Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA), etc.
v.Exporters will receive their settlements in INR (Indian Rupee) in their local bank accounts in India. Further, they will also get digital Foreign Inward Remittances Advice (e-FIRA) within 24 hours.
About YES Bank Ltd.
MD&CEO – Prashant Kumar
Establishment – 2004
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Tagline – Experience Our Expertise
Axis Bank, IndiaShelter Enters Co-lending Partnership to Offer MSME LoansAxis Bank, India’s third largest private sector bank, and India Shelter Finance Corporation Ltd (IndiaShelter), a Gurgaon(Haryana)-based Housing Finance Company, have entered into a strategic partnership under the co-lending model to offer secured MSME(Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) loans to middle and low-income borrowers in semi-urban areas.
- This partnership with IndiaShelter is in line with Axis Bank’s Bharat Banking mission which aims to extend its reach in remote regions and provide financial service in a seamless digital manner.
Features of the partnership:
i.Under the partnership, Axis Bank will leverage its financial expertise and IndiaShelter will provide its loan processing technology to assess borrowers’ credit profiles and offer loans at an optimal interest rate, ensuring a seamless banking experience.
ii.The digital co-lending platform of Axis Bank will offer a superior customer experience.
iii.IndiaShelter would support first-generation semi-urban families to get access to credit through its well-established Phygital Model.
About Axis Bank Ltd.
MD&CEO – Amitabh Chaudhry
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Establishment – 1993
Tagline – Badhti Ka Naam Zindagi
Ajay Banga becomes first Indian-American to be appointed as 14th World Bank President On May 3, 2023, Ajay Banga (63) appointed as the 14th President of the World Bank (WB) by the 25-member Executive Directors of the WB for a five-year term beginning June 2, 2023.
- He will succeed David Malpass, becoming the first Indian-born nominee to hold this position and the first-ever Indian-American to lead WB.
- He is also the first-ever Indian-American and Sikh-American to head either of the two top international financial institutions: the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the WB.
i.In February 2023, the United States (US) President Joe Biden nominated Ajay Banga to lead WB.
ii.As President of the World Bank Group, he will also serve as the Chair of the Board of the Executive Directors of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), as well as ex officio chair of the Board of Directors of the International Development Association (IDA), International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and of the Administrative Council of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
About Ajay Banga:
i.An alumni of Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad (Gujarat), he is an awardee of Padma Shri (2016).
ii.Prior to the position WB President, he was Vice Chairman at General Atlantic and President and CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of Mastercard.
iii.He previously served on the Boards of the American Red Cross, Kraft Foods and Dow Inc.
iv.He is a member of the Trilateral Commission, a founding trustee of the U.S.-India Strategic Partnership Forum, a former member of the National Committee on US-China Relations, and Chairman Emeritus of the American India Foundation.
v.He is a co-founder of The Cyber Readiness Institute, Vice Chair of the Economic Club of New York and served as a member of President Barack Obama’s Commission on Enhancing National Cybersecurity.
- He is a past member of the US President’s Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations.
vi.He was awarded the Foreign Policy Association Medal in 2012, the Ellis Island Medal of Honour and the Business Council for International Understanding’s Global Leadership Award in 2019, and the Distinguished Friends of Singapore Public Service Star in 2021.
About World Bank (WB):
Headquarters– Washington, D.C., United States (US)
HDFC ERGO General Insurance elevates Anuj Tyagi to Joint Managing Director
Anuj Tyagi, Deputy Managing Director (DMD) of HDFC ERGO, has been promoted as Joint Managing Director(MD) of HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company Limited. The elevation was approved by the Nomination & Remuneration Committee and the Board of Directors of HDFC ERGO General Insurance decided during their meeting held on 27th April 2023 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
He has about 22 years of work experience in insurance and banking.
- Anuj Tyagi has been with HDFC ERGO for the last 14 years, since 2008, and has played a significant role in the organisation’s success.
- In 2016, he was appointed as a Whole-time Director (designated as Executive Director (ED) & Chief Business Officer (CBO)) of HDFC ERGO General Insurance for a period of 5 years. He was reappointed as the ED & CBO in 2020 for a further 5 years, and in 2021 he was re-designated as the DMD.
CCI approves Acquisition of Shareholding of Tower Vision by Ascend Telecom Infrastructure Private Limited and GIP EM The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approves the acquisition of the shareholding of Tower Vision India Private Limited (Tower Vision) by Ascend Telecom Infrastructure Private Limited and GIP EM Ascend 2 Pte. Ltd (GIP EM).
Acquirers- Ascend Telecom Infrastructure Private Limited (Ascend) and GIP EM
Target- Tower Vision
The Proposed Combination is being notified under Section 6(2) read with Section 5 of the Competition Act, 2002 (as amended).
CCI approves Acquisition by Sanjay Chamria (SC) of certain equity shares of Jaguar & Magma HDI
The CCI approves acquisition by Sanjay Chamria (SC) of certain equity shares of Jaguar Advisory Services Private Limited (Jaguar), resulting in an indirect acquisition of certain equity shares of Magma HDI General Insurance Company Limited (Magma HDI).
i. The Proposed Combination is an indirect acquisition of shares under Section 5(a) of the Competition Act, 2002.
About the Competiton Commission of India (CCI):
Acting Chairperson- Sangeeta Verma
Headquarters- New Delhi, Delhi
Establishment- 14th October 2003 (Operational from 2009)
Union Minister Parshottam Rupala launches VCI portal
On 29th April 2023, Union Minister Parshottam Rupala, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, launched a Veterinary Council of India (VCI) portal during the event organised to celebrate World Veterinary Day 2023 (29 April 2023) at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi, Delhi.
- He also released the draft Minimum Standards of Veterinary Practices Regulation (MSVPR) 2023, and a list of outstanding veterinarians in the event.
- The event was organised to recognize and celebrate the important roles of Veterinarians in animal and human health and ecology
US Sprinter & 3 Time Olympic Medalist Tori Bowie Passed AwayOn 2nd May 2023, American track and field athlete Tori Bowie, who won 3 medals in the Olympic Games, passed away in Horizon West, Florida, United States of America (USA), at the age of 32. She was born on 27th August 1990 at Sand Hill, Rankin County, Mississippi, USA.
About Tori Bowie:
i. Tori Bowie began her professional track and field career in 2013 and made her international debut at World Indoor Championships in Sopot in 2014 in Long Jump.
ii. She also competed in long jumping at the Adidas Grand Prix (2013) and Hercules meets (2013) as well as the IAAF Diamond League circuit (2014)
- IAAF – World Athletics, formerly known as the International Amateur Athletic Federation and International Association of Athletics Federations
iii. She later switched from long jump to sprints in 2014 and won the bronze medal in the 100-metre dash (10.80 seconds) at the 2014 USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships and became the fastest woman in the world.
iv. She won her 1st major international medal (bronze) in a 100-meter at the 2015 World Championships in Beijing, China.
v. She anchored the US team that won 4x100m relay gold at the 2016 Rio Olympics, where she also earned silver in the 100m event and bronze in the 200m event.
vi. Tori Bowie won the gold medal in the 100-meter dash at the 2017 World Athletics Championships in London, United Kingdom. She also won the gold for the 4×100 meter relay in the same.
vii. Her last major international competition was the World Athletics Championships in 2019 in Doha, Qatar, where she finished 4th in the long jump. Her last official competition was in June 2022.
International Firefighters’ Day 2023 – May 4International Firefighters’ Day(IFFD) is annually observed across the globe on 4th May to honour and recognise the incredible work done by the firefighters while protecting the life and property of people. The also aims to pay tribute to the firefighters who lost their lives in the line of duty.
- The day 4th May is also marked as St Florian’s Day. St Florian is the Patron Saint of Firefighters.
IFFD’s symbol: Red and Blue ribbon.
i.International Firefighters Day(IFFD) was initiated to honour the deaths of 5 firefighters who died in the line of duty in the 1998 Wildfire at Linton, Victoria, Australia.
ii.On 4th January 1999, Australian firefighter JJ Edmondson sent out the proposal to observe 4th May as International Firefighters Day.
The first-ever International Firefighters Day was observed on 4th May 1999.
Tamil Nadu Food Department opens Portal and App for grievances The Health Minister of Tamil Nadu (TN), Ma Subramanian, has launched a mobile app ‘Tamil Nadu Food Safety Consumer’ and website of the Food Safety Department (www.foodsafety.tn.gov.in) for grievances at an event held at the Government Multi Super Speciality Hospital at Omandurar Estate in Chennai, TN.
- Through these consumers can find information on safe food and other details.
- The website would provide information about the Food Safety Department’s activities, banned items, Acts governing food safety and licences.
- It can be accessed in Tamil and English and also has a screen reader facility for ease of access for the differently-abled.
i.Consumers can also lodge complaints with the Food Safety Department the following ways
- Mobile app: Tamil Nadu Food Safety Consumer
- Website: foodsafety.tn.gov.in
- WhatsApp: 9444042322
ii.Short films to create awareness on reused oil and and food fortification are being popularised on social media.
iii.The Food Safety Department had also confiscated 16,209 kg of fruits, worth around Rs 9.2 lakh, that had been ripened through harmful artificial methods.
About Tamil Nadu (TN):
Chief Minister– Muthuvel Karunanidhi (MK) Stalin
Governor– Ravindra Narayana Ravi
Zoological Parks– Chennai Snake Park, Madras Crocodile Bank Trust/Centre For Herpetology
AP CM YS Jagan Mohan Reddy lays Foundation Stone for Rs 21,844 Crore Vizag Tech ParkOn 3rd May 2023, YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, Chief Minister (CM) of Andhra Pradesh (AP), laid the foundation stone of Rs 21,844 crore Vizag Tech Park Limited (VTPL), a subsidiary of Adani Group company which will house 300 megawatt (MW) data centres.
- Vizag Tech Park will be India’s 1st data park. The event was attended by Rajesh Adani Managing Director of Adani Group and Karan Adani, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Adani Group.
i. The 300 MW data centres would facilitate the laying of a submarine cable from Singapore and help change the future dynamics of broadband services.
ii. The Vizag Tech Park (coming up in an area of 190.29 -acres) would consist of:
- A 200 MW Integrated Data Centre (130 acres) at Madhurawada, Visakhapatnam, AP, with an investment of Rs 14,634 crore
- A 100 MW Integrated Data Centre (60.29 acres) at Kapuluppada, UP, with an investment of Rs 7,210 crore.
iii. According to the Chief Minister, the VTPL would provide direct employment to 39,815 people in a phased manner over 7 years and indirect employment to 10,610 more.
CM YS Jagan Mohan Reddy lays Foundation for Rs 4,592 Crore Bhogapuram Airport
On 3rd May 2023, AP CM YS Jagan Mohan Reddy laid the foundation stone for Rs 4,592 crore International Greenfield Airport at Bhogapuram village in Vizianagaram district, AP.
- In addition to the Bhogapuram airport, CM Jagan Mohan Reddy also virtually laid the foundation for the Rs 194 crore Taraka Rama Sagaram project and the Rs 24 crore Chintapalli Fish Landing Centre in the Vizianagaram district of AP.
i. Bhogapuram Airport will initially serve 40 lakh people before expanding to 4 crores, serving as the hub for the districts of Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram, and Srikakulam, and changing the appearance of North AP.
- In four months, the foundation stone will be set for a 6-lane motorway that would span a 60-kilometre route between Visakhapatnam and Bhogapuram.
ii. All necessary approvals, including no-objection certificates (NOCs), as well as the resolution verdict from the National Green Tribunal and the courts, have been obtained, and the land acquisition and tender process are now complete.
iii. The Andhra Pradesh Airports Development Corporation (APADCL) has signed an agreement with the GMR group to build the airport in the public-private partnership (PPP) model.
Justice T.S. Sivagnanam appointed as the CJ of the Calcutta High Court
The Government has notified the appointment of Justice T.S. Sivagnanam, the seniormost judge of the Calcutta High Court, as the Chief Justice (CJ) of the Calcutta High Court. He is currently serving as the Acting Chief Justice of the High Court.
- On 9th February 2023, the Supreme Court Collegium (SCC) suggested Justice T.S. Sivagnanam for the position of CJ of the Calcutta High Court.
- He was born on 16 September 1963 and began his legal practice in September 1986.
- He was appointed as an additional judge of the Madras High Court on March 31, 2009, and became a permanent judge on March 29, 2011.
- In October 2021, he was transferred to the Calcutta High Court where he has been serving since then. He is scheduled to retire on September 15, 2025.