Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw inaugurates AMRITPEX 2023 at New DelhiOn February 11, 2023, Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw, Ministry of Communications inaugurated a 5-day long AMRITPEX 2023, National Philatelic Exhibition at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi (Delhi) as a part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav Celebrations.
- It will culminate on February 15, 2023.
i.AMRITPEX is the national platform to highlight and display the 5000 years old rich history and culture of India.
- The exhibition displays more than 20,000 exhibits under 13 competitive categories and invitees.
- AMRITPEX 2023 saw the number of workshops, panel discussions and cultural programs.
ii.It was attended by large number of school students and philatelists from all parts of the country.
iii.Department of Posts opened more than 10 lakh Sukanya Samriddhi Accounts on February 9-10, 2023, as a tribute to Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao and Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
iv.The exhibition for the first time in India has a number of technology artifacts like Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality.
Release of Commemorative Postage Stamp on Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav:
The Department of Posts (DoP) also released a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav. This stamp has been designed from the best entries of the national wide design competition in which more than 4 lakh students participated.
- This competition was organized at Pan India level in partnership with the Department of School Education and the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
The Minister of State (MoS) Devusinh Chauhan, Ministry of Communications; Secretary, Department of Posts, Vineet Pandey; and Director General Postal Services, Alok Sharma, among others.
India’s First Electric AC Double-Decker Bus Inaugurated in Mumbai
The first double-decker electric AC bus in India was unveiled in Mumbai, Maharashtra, by the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport Undertaking (BEST).
- The regional transportation agency ‘BEST’ in Mumbai has not yet completed the registration process for the electric bus and will begin offering the service to passengers after conducting a few tests.
The bus will run between the Bandra-Kurla Complex (BKC) and the Kurla bus depot after all clearances have been granted.
- A minimum fare of Rs 6 will be levied for a distance of 5 km, and the ticket prices will remain the same.
- The electric double-decker bus can accommodate 73 passengers. It can be charged in 80 minutes and has automatic doors and CCTV cameras.
UNDP & The Ocean Cleanup Sign MoU to Eliminate Plastic Pollution in The OceansThe United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and ‘The Ocean Cleanup’ signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to work together to eliminate plastic pollution in the world’s oceans and rivers.
i.The partnership aims to decrease plastic leakages into marine ecosystems by promoting policies and behavioural changes intended to advance effective plastic waste management systems and decrease overall plastic pollution.
ii.It will hasten the implementation of interception technology in rivers in order to reduce marine plastic pollution.
iii.Plastic pollution endangers the health of the world’s seas as well as the billions of people who rely on marine resources for food and income.
The Ocean Cleanup
‘The Ocean Cleanup’ is a non-profit foundation established in 2013 in Delft, the Netherlands by Dutch inventor Boyan Slat.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
UNDP is the United Nations (UN) agency in charge of international development.
Administrator – Achim Steiner
Established – 1966
Headquarters – New York, USA
FT Global MBA Ranking 2023: ISB Placed First Among Indian B-Schools; Six Indian B-Schools Listed Among World’s Top 100 MBA Institutes According to the “Financial Times (FT) Global MBA Ranking 2023,” the Post Graduate Programme (PGP) from the Indian School of Business (ISB) has retained its prominence among Indian B-Schools and is the only Indian B-school (Business School) to rank in the top 50 globally. (As of February 13, 2023).
- ISB dropped to 39th rank in the world from 32nd in 2022 and 23rd in 2021. It is currently ranked sixth in Asia.
- ISB has campuses in Hyderabad (Telangana) and Mohali (Punjab).
In addition to ISB, the Financial Times’ top 100 list includes five Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs).
- In 2022, India had four B-schools in the list.
Note: For the 2023 edition, 142 schools participated in the ranking process.
Indian School of Business (ISB)
i.In terms of research ranking, ISB is ranked first in India and 61st globally, supporting its goal of being a research-led management institution.
ii.The PGP of 2019 alumni were surveyed on a variety of parameters for the “FT Global MBA Ranking 2023.”
iii.According to the ranking, ISB performed well in aspects like salary percentage increase (#2), alumni network (#12), career progress (#28), and career services (#29).
Other Indian B-schools on the list:
i.According to the Financial Times, IIM Indore (Madhya Pradesh) and IIM Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh) are among the top 100 global MBA institutes.
- IIM Ahmedabad (Gujarat) rose to 51st in the 2023 ranking from 62nd in 2022.
- IIM Bangalore (Karnataka) is ranked 52nd, IIM Calcutta (West Bengal) is ranked 76th, IIM Indore is ranked 89th, and IIM Lucknow is ranked 90th.
ii.Weighting for salaries has been reduced from two-fifths to less than one-third in the 2023 ranking, with more emphasis placed on diversity and sustainability.
Top 5 Global B-schools on the list:
HDFC Bank Launches “OfflinePay” Pilot Program for Offline Digital Payments
HDFC Bank, the largest private sector bank in India, and Crunchfish Digital Cash established a pilot programme called “OfflinePay“ to test offline digital payments for customers and merchants, as part of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Regulatory Sandbox Program.
- HDFC Bank is the industry’s first bank to provide an entirely offline digital payment service.
i.OfflinePay is a first-of-its-kind digital solution that allows for quick and easy low-value offline transactions.
ii.OfflinePay enables users and merchants to accept and process payments even when there is little to no internet connection or network.
iii.This OfflinePay digital payment solution has the potential to increase digital payment usage in smaller towns and rural locations with limited network connectivity.
i.Under the Payments cohort of the RBI’s Regulatory Sandbox programme, HDFC Bank has been collaborating with the RBI to trial offline digital payments.
ii.The proposal submitted by Crunchfish and HDFC Bank for entry to the Regulatory Sandbox was granted by the RBI in September 2022.
iii.Crunchfish Digital Cash AB is a subsidiary of Crunchfish AB, a publicly traded company on Nasdaq First North Growth Market in Stockholm, Sweden.
i.As of now, HDFC Bank will roll out this service in 16+ cities and towns across India as part of a 4-month limited pilot.
- The offline transaction value during the trial would be capped at Rs. 200 per transaction.
ii.If the pilot is successful, it will be the basis for the RBI’s guidance and regulatory support in enabling offline digital payments to India’s payment ecosystem via the Crunchfish Digital Cash platform.
iii.HDFC Bank has teamed with IDFC First Bank to highlight transactions with consumers and merchants of other banks.
- For the pilot, HDFC Bank appointed M2P Fintech Pvt. Ltd. to develop client and merchant apps.
RBI’s Regulatory Sandbox Program
The RBI created the Regulatory Sandbox in 2020 to encourage responsible innovation in financial services, enhance efficiency, and benefit end users.
- The Regulatory Sandbox is a formal regulatory programme that allows market participants to test innovative products and services in a live environment, subject to oversight and safeguards.
ReNew Power Unveils Its New Rebranding and Decarbonisation Focus
ReNew Power made the strategic decision to rebrand itself as ReNew and introduced the new company logo, with the new brand identity reflecting the transition from a pure-play renewable independent power producer to an end-to-end provider of decarbonization solutions.
- ReNew is set to advance the Net-Zero transition goals of enterprises by pioneering the development of upcoming decarbonization solutions like green hydrogen, energy storage, carbon markets, and solar manufacturing.
- ReNew has been using digital technology to hasten the transition to green energy and meet the specific needs of the B2B (business-to-business) market in India.
According to industry forecasts, as electrification and living standards increase, the world’s electricity consumption will probably triple by 2050.
- De-carbonization will be crucial in reaching the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and strengthening global climate action.
Sumant Sinha is the Chairman and CEO of ReNew Power.
President Droupadi Murmu appoints New Governors in 13 states On February 12, 2023, the President of India Droupadi Murmu appointed governors in 12 states and a Union Territory (UT). These include the following 6 new appointments and 7 reshuffles:
Law Minister Kiren Rijiju: GoI Appoints Chief Justice for 4 High CourtsKiren Rijiju, Union Minister of Law and Justice, announced that the Government of India(GoI) has appointed Chief Justices(CJs) for 4 High Courts(HC) as per the relevant provisions under the Constitution of India.
Details of the Appointments of CJ of 4 High courts:
- Syed Qamar Hasan Rizvi
- Manish Kumar Nigam
- Anish Kumar Gupta
- Nand Prabha Shukla
- Kshitij Shailendra
- Vinod Diwaka
Note: They are appointed in the order of seniority for a period of 2 years with effect from the date they assume charge.
ii.Advocates Lekshmana Chandra Victoria Gowri, Pillaipakkam Bahukutumbi Balaji, Kandhasami Kulandaivelu Ramakrishnan, and Judicial Officers Ramachandra Kalaimathi and K Govindarajan Thilakavadi were appointed as the Additional Judges in Madras High Court.
iii.Advocates Vijaykumar Adagouda, Patil, and Rajesh Rai Kallangala were elevated as Additional Judges of the Karnataka High Court.
About Ministry of Law and Justice:
Union Minister– Kiren Rijiju(Constituency- Arunachal West, Arunachal Pradesh)
Minister of State– S. P. Singh Baghel(Constituency- Agra, Uttar Pradesh)
Nikos Christodoulides elected as 8th Cyprus PresidentOn february 12, 2023, Nikos Christodoulides (49) has been elected as the 8th President of Cyprus by defeating veteran diplomat Andreas Mavroyiannis.
- He gained 51.9% of the vote while Andreas Mavroyiannis, had 48.1%.
- He will succeed Nicos Anastasiades.
i.Nikos Christodoulides served as Minister of Foreign Affairs of Cyprus from 2018 to 2022.
ii.He ran as an independent with the backing of centrist and right-of-centre parties.
iii.In 2021, he was awarded with Order of Serbian Flag.
ICAI elects Aniket Sunil Talati & Ranjeet Kumar Agarwal as President & Vice-President for 2023-24The Central Council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) has elected CA. Aniket Sunil Talati and CA. Ranjeet Kumar Agarwal as President and Vice Presidentof ICAI for the term 2023-24.
About Aniket Sunil Talati:
i.He is currently the Director of ICAI Accounting Research Foundation (ICAI ARF), Indian Institute of Insolvency Professionals of India (IIIPI) and Extensible Business Reporting Language (XBRL) India.
ii.He is the Technical Advisor to the ICAI’s Nominee on the PAIB (Professional Accountants in Business) Advisory Group of IFAC and Technical Advisor to the IFAC Board Member.
iii.He is also appointed as the Board member of SAFA (South Asian Federation of Accountants).
About Ranjeet Kumar Agarwal
i.He was elected to the 23rd, 24th & 25th Central Council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India 3 times in a row.
ii.As the Chairman of the Professional Development Committee of ICAI, conceptualised and implemented UDIN (Unique Document Identification Number) , a landmark reform of ICAI.
iii.He was also the Convenor of Group constituted to implement the UDIN concept in all South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Countries (Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan & Maldives).
About Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI):
i.The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India is a statutory body established by an Act of Parliament, viz. The Chartered Accountants Act, 1949 on 1st July, 1949 for regulating the profession of Chartered Accountancy in the country.
ii.The ICAI, functions under the administrative control of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs
iii.It is one of the largest professional bodies of Chartered Accountants in the World, with a strong tradition of service to the Indian economy in public interest.
Hyundai Motors India signs Women Cricketers Yastika Bhatia & Renuka Singh Thakur as Brand Ambassadors
Hyundai Motor India Limited (HMIL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the South Korea-based Hyundai Motor Company, has signed 2 more women cricketers Yastika Bhatia and Renuka Singh Thakur to its roster of brand ambassadors which includes, Smriti Mandhana, Shafali Verma, and Jemimah Rodrigues.
HMIL announced the next edition of its #TheDriveWithin campaign featuring five Indian women cricketers – Smriti Mandhana, Shafali Verma, Jemimah Rodrigues, Yastika Bhatia and Renuka Singh.
- The campaign marks the celebration of these world-renowned women cricketers and a testament to years of gruelling training and hardships.
- The brand renewed its partnership with Smriti Mandhana, Shafali Verma, and Jemimah Rodrigues, which was first signed in December 2021.
Real Madrid beat Al Hilal to win 5th FIFA Club World Cup 2022Real Madrid has won the FIFA Club World Cup for the 5th time after beating Saudi Arabia’s Al-Hilal 5-3 in the final by 5-3 in Rabat, Morocco.
- The 2022 FIFA Club World Cup (officially known as the FIFA Club World Cup Morocco 2022 presented by Visit Saudi for sponsorship reasons) was its 19th edition.
- It was held from February 1-11, 2023 in Morocco at Ibn Batouta Stadium in Tangier and the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium in Rabat.
i.Its Official Song/Anthem was ‘Welcome To Morocco’.
ii.The Best player award/Adidas Golden Ball went to Vinícius Júnior of Real Madrid.
- Adidas Silver Ball was awarded to Uruguay’s Federico Valverde (Real Madrid).
- Adidas Bronze Ball was presented to Argentina’s Luciano Vietto (Al-Hilal).
iii.The Fair Play award was also grabbed by Real Madrid.
iv.The Brazilian football player Pedro Guilherme Abreu dos Santos aka Pedro was the top goal scorer of the tournament with 4 goals.
- He played for Campeonato Brasileiro Série A club Flamengo, Brazil.
About FIFA Club World Cup:
It is an international men’s association football competition organised by the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), the sport’s global governing body.
Inaugural edition of SA20 League: Sunrisers Eastern Cape won title at SA20 2023Sunrisers Eastern Cape captained by South African cricketer Aiden Markram won the inaugural edition of Betway SA20 League (SA20 2023), a Twenty20 franchise cricket tournament in South Africa, organised by Cricket South Africa.
- Sunrisers Eastern Cape defeated Pretoria Capitals captained by South African cricketer Wayne Parnell in the finals held in Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Sunrisers captain Aiden Markram has been named “Player of the Series” in SA20 2023. He also became the 3rd-highest run-scorer and joint 7th-highest wicket-taker in the competition.
About SA20 2023:
i.The inaugural SA20 was played from 10 January to 12 February 2023.
ii.The 33 matches of the SA20 were held across 6 venues in South Africa, which includes, Newlands Cricket Ground in Cape Town, Centurion Park in Centurion (Gauteng) , Kingsmead Cricket Ground in Durban, Boland Park in Paarl, The Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg and St George’s Park in Gqeberha.
Teams that participated in the inaugural SA20 are,
- Sunrisers Eastern Cape
- Pretoria Capitals
- MI Cape Town
- Paarl Royals
- Joburg Super Kings
- Durban Super Giants
Betway SA20 Award Winners:
2023 Formula E Hyderabad E-Prix: Jean-Eric Vergne wins India’s first-ever E-Prix
On 11th February 2023, Two-time Formula E champion Jean-Eric Vergne of DS Penske, a French Racing Driver, won the first ever Formula E race in India – 2023 Greenko Hyderabad E-Prix, Round 4 of the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship (Formula E 2023). A total of 11 teams competed in the 2023 Hyderabad E-Prix held in the Hyderabad street circuit, Hyderabad, Telangana.
Nick Cassidy of Envision and Antonio Felix da Costa of TAG Heuer Porsche finished second and third, respectively.
- Jean-Eric Vergne is one of the top drivers in the competition and has been a part of Formula E since its beginning in the 2014–15 season.
- Hyderabad street circuit becomes the 30th venue and 1st in India to host an E-Prix.
2023 Dallas Open: China’s Wu Yibing wins Men’s Singles & Jamie Murray & Michael Venus wins Men’s Doubles
On 12th February 2023, Wu Yibing from China(23-year-old), world no 97th, won the Men’s Singles title at the 2023 Dalla Open (2nd edition of the Dallas Open), defeating American tennis player John Isner at the finals held in Styslinger/Altec Tennis Complex in the city of Dallas, United States of America (USA). Dallas Open 2023 was held from 4th to 12th February 2023.
- Wu Yibing became the first Chinese Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Tour titlist in Men’s singles.
- With this win, Wu Yibing rose to world number 58 in the rankings and became the highest-ranked Chinese player in ATP history.
Jamie Murray and Michael Venus of New Zealand won their 1st Men’s doubles title together against Americans Nathaniel Lammons and Jackson Withrow.
- Jamie Murray is a 28-time tour-level titlist and has earned at least one crown in 11 consecutive seasons.
- Michael Venus, an 18-time tour-level champion, has now earned glory in 9 straight years.
Note: The Dallas Open is a men’s tennis tournament played on indoor hard courts. The Dallas Open is one of only 10 United States tournaments on the ATP Tour and the only ATP Tour indoor championship in the USA.
National Productivity Day 2023 – February 12 & National Productivity Week 2023 – 12th-18th FebruaryNational Productivity Day or National Productivity Council Foundation Day is annually observed across India on February 12 to mark the foundation day of the National Productivity Council of India (NPC) and raise awareness of productivity, efficiency, and innovation.
- National Productivity Day is celebrated as part of National Productivity Week, which is observed annually from 12 to 18 February.
The theme for National Productivity Week 2023 is “Productivity, Green Growth, and Sustainability: Celebrating India’s G20 Presidency”.
- The events and observance of National Productivity Week and National Productivity Day are led by the National Productivity Council of India (NPC).
The National Productivity Council of India (NPC) was established in 1958 and registered as an autonomous society under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, under the Department for Promotion of Industry Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MoCI).
About the National Productivity Council of India (NPC):
President – Piyush Goyal (Minister of Commerce and Industry & President)
Chairman- Anurag Jain, IAS
Director General- Sundeep Kumar Nayak, IAS
Headquarters- New Delhi, Delhi
International Darwin Day 2023- February 12International Darwin Day is annually observed across the globe on February 12 to commemorate the birth anniversary of the 19th-century British naturalist, Charles Robert Darwin, who is well known for his work “The Theory of Natural Selection”.
- The day is observed to reflect and act on the principles of intellectual bravery, perpetual curiosity, scientific thinking, and hunger for truth as embodied in Charles Darwin.
International Darwin Day is the celebration, activism, and international cooperation for the development of science, education, and human well-being.
International Darwin Day was initiated by three Darwin enthusiasts: Dr Robert Stephens, Prof. Massimo Pigliucci, and Amanda Chesworth.
i. In 1995, Dr Robert Stephens motivated the Silicon Valley Humanist Community to start an annual Darwin Day Celebration.
ii. In 1997, Prof. Massimo Pigliucci initiated annual Darwin Day celebrations at the University of Tennessee, United States of America (USA).
iii. In 2000, Amanda Chesworth joined Stephens to officially incorporate the Darwin Day Program in New Mexico, USA.
World Radio Day 2023 – February 13 The United Nations(UN)’s World Radio Day is annually observed across the globe on 13th February to highlight the importance of radio as an essential part of the maintenance and transition to peace.
- World Radio Day also marks the anniversary of the establishment of the UN Radio service “UN Radio” which was established on 13th February 1946.
13th February 2023 marks the observance of the 12th edition of World Radio Day.
The theme of World Radio Day 2023 is “Radio and Peace”.
i.The General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization(UNESCO) adopted the resolution at its 36th session and proclaimed the 13th February of every year as World Radio Day to mark the establishment of UN Radio.
ii.The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/67/124 on 18th December 2012 and endorsed the UNSECO’s resolution on World Radio Day.
- The first edition of World Radio Day was observed on 13th February 2012.
About United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization(UNESCO):
Director-General– Audrey Azoulay
Headquarters– Paris, France
National Women’s Day 2023 – February 13National Women’s Day is annually observed across India on February 13 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Sarojini Naidu, who was referred to as the “Nightingale of India”.
- National Women’s Day is celebrated to honour the social, cultural, political, and economic accomplishments of Indian women.
13th February 2023 marks the 144th birth anniversary of Sarojini Naidu.
Note: The United Nations (UN)’s International Women’s Day is annually observed across the globe on March 8.
About Sarojini Naidu:
i. Sarojini Naidu was born on 13th February 1879 in Hyderabad, Telangana.
ii. She was a political activist, feminist, poet, freedom fighter, and the 1st Indian woman to be the President of the Indian National Congress.
iii. She was appointed as Uttar Pradesh’s 1st governor in 1947, the year India attained freedom. She held onto her position until her demise in 1949.
International Epilepsy Day 2023- February 13International Epilepsy Day is annually observed across the globe on the 2nd Monday of February to raise awareness of Epilepsy and its impact on individuals, families and communities around the world.
International Epilepsy Day 2023 is observed on 13th February 2023.
- International Epilepsy Day 2022 was observed on 14th February 2022.
- International Epilepsy Day 2024 will be observed on 12th February 2024.
The theme of International Epilepsy Day 2023 is “Stigma”.
- The Campaign of International Epilepsy Day 2023 is #StampOutStigma of epilepsy.
i. International Epilepsy Day is a joint initiative by the International Bureau for Epilepsy (IBE) and the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) started in 2015.
ii. The 1st ever International Epilepsy Day was observed in 2015.
About the International Bureau for Epilepsy (IBE):
President- Francesca Sofia
Vice President- Natela Okujava
Headquarters- Dublin, Ireland
About the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE):
President- J. Helen Cross
Vice President- Roberto Horacio Caraballo
Headquarters- Texas, United States of America (USA)