Overview of the Visit of Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-trip Sisi to India – January 24–27, 2023Abdel Fattah Saeed Hussein Khalil El-Sisi, President of the Arab Republic of Egypt, visited India for 3 days from January 24 – 27, 2023 at the invitation of Indian Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi to attend India’s 74th Republic Day celebrations as the Chief Guest.
- President Sisi is on his second state visit to India, and his visit coincides with the 75th anniversary of Egypt-India diplomatic relations.
i.Droupadi Murmu, President of the Republic of India, accorded President Sisi a ceremonial welcome at the “Rashtrapati Bhavan,” India’s presidential residence in New Delhi, Delhi.
ii.This is the first time the President of the Arab Republic of Egypt has been invited as the chief guest on India’s Republic Day.
iii.India and Egypt have resolved to upgrade their ties to the “strategic partnership” level, covering a wide range of sectors such as politics, security, defence, energy, and economy, with the signing of various Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs).
iv.India and Egypt have exchanged commemorative postal stamps to honour the 75th anniversary of the establishment of India-Egypt relationship.
About the Arab Republic of Egypt:
President – Abdel Fattah Saeed Hussein Khalil El-Sisi
Capital – Cairo
Currency – Egyptian Pound (EGP)
Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal Inaugurates NLP Marine
Sarbananda Sonowal, Union Minister for Ports, Shipping and Waterways and Ayush, inaugurated the National Logistics Portal (NLP) (marine) in New Delhi, Delhi.
- The NLP (marine) project is a one-stop platform for connecting all the stakeholders of the logistics community using Information Technology.
- It was envisaged by the Ministry of Ports Shipping Waterways and the Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
i.NLP will act as a single window for all trade processes of the logistics sector across the country covering all modes of transport in the waterways, roadways, and airways along with an E-marketplace.
ii.The activities of NLP Marine are categorized into four distinct verticals viz. i. Carrier, ii. Cargo, iii. Banking and Finance and iv. Regulatory Bodies and Participating Government Agencies (PGAs).
iii.Features of NLP:
- It acts as a Single Platform to perform all core activities of the Importer / Exporter / Customs Broker / Freight Forwarder
- Provides a level playing field to relevant stakeholders (large & small)
- Gives a Complete domestic tracking of the shipment with notifications at each stage
- Providing Real-time information on the activities which are generally not within reach of the Importer / Exporter / Customs Broker.
- Enhanced transparency in Government to Business relations and Ease of doing Business
- Provides Document Management System to store all the important documents securely on Cloud Storage.
- Reduced costs and timeframes for execution of trade and logistics operations
- Paper-less transaction, for all the stakeholders along with BI reporting and data analytics.
Note – NLP (marine) is an “open platform” developed to fulfill the mission of PM Gati Shakti – National Master Plan for Multi-modal Connectivity.
EPFO Launches a District Outreach Program “Nidhi Aapke Nikat 2.0”On 27 January 2023, Arti Ahuja, Secretary, Ministry of Labour and Employment, e-launched the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation’s (EPFO) district outreach program “Nidhi Aapke Nikat 2.0” in all the districts of the country.
- Nidhi Aapke Nikat 2.0 will be conducted on the 27th of every month at all district headquarters of EPFO (starting from January 2023) to reach out to all the districts of the country on the same day.
- EPFO organized camps in 685 districts of the country to create participatory awareness among all stakeholders and provide a grievance redressal platform to members.
Key Points over the Program:
i.Grievance redressal platform:
- A help desk will be created under the program where members could get online services for filing online claims.
- Grievance redressal of the members will also be done on the spot and in case any grievance could not be redressed on the spot, it will be registered on the grievance portal of EPFO and will be resolved on priority.
ii.It will act as an information exchange network for employers and employees and also as a platform for the exchange of information with the district-level authorities of various State and Central Government departments.
ii.Under Nidhi Aapke Nikat, the EPFO stakeholders used to come to the EPFO field offices for grievance redressal, whereas under the Nidhi Aapke Nikat 2.0, EPFO will reach out to the stakeholders, for increasing accessibility and visibility of the organisation.
iv.Participants: Central Provident Fund Commissioner (CPFC), officers of EPFO, Members of Parliament, Members of Legislative Assemblies, CBT (Central Board of Trustees) Members, Regional Committee members, and District Collectors.
Note: In the year 2015, Bhavishya Nidhi Adalat was renamed Nidhi Aapke Nikat.
MeitY’s R&D institute SAMEER signs MoU with Siemens Healthineers for Low-Cost MRI Technology
On 27th January 2023, the Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering & Research (SAMEER), an autonomous (Research and Development) R&D institution under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and Siemens Healthineers, a Germany-based Healthcare Company, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to ensure the availability of low-cost Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Technology in India.
- This collaboration will advance the development of new, improved, and innovative technologies for advancing healthcare and diagnostic access in India.
The MoU was signed in the presence of Rajeev Chandrasekhar, Minister of State(MoS) for Electronics & Information Technology and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
i. The MoU, which will ensure the availability of low-cost MRI, is in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision to provide quality, and affordable healthcare and diagnostic access for every Indian.
ii. MoS Rajeev Chandrasekhar, noted that India’s healthcare sector represents a big market and the Government is prepared to partner with global companies who are willing to set up manufacturing bases in India.
iii. In addition to combining SAMEER and Siemens Healthineers’ experience in healthcare technologies, particularly in Linear Accelerators (LINAC) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), the partnership will pursue joint activities to improve access to MRI in India.
iv. Siemens Healthineers identifies India as a strategic market and has a significant role in the advancement of technology and global innovation to achieve the future of healthcare.
Features of the MoU:
i. This MoU will help in creating local industry access for Siemens Healthineers and in turn, SAMEER will get access to next-generation research in advanced healthcare technologies.
ii. This will enable India’s health mission towards deploying healthcare technologies for early diagnostics and treatment to save lives across India.
About SAMEER’s MRI Technology:
i. SAMEER is a strategic partner specialising in RF Microwaves Radar and Communication Systems, E3 (Electromagnetic Environmental Effects) testing, and Medical Electronics.
ii. SAMEER currently develops the IMRI (Indigenous Magnetic Resonance Imaging) Technology under the Sushrut MRI (Indian MRI) system.
Director General- Dr P. Hanumantha Rao
Headquarters- Mumbai, Maharashtra
About Siemens Healthineers:
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)- Bernd Montag
Headquarters- Erlangen, Germany
Indian Railways Introduces “Ideal Train Profile” To Maximize Seat Occupancy
The Indian Railways has introduced the “Ideal Train Profile” to maximize capacity utilization and revenue generation in reserved mail express trains by analyzing the demand pattern of each individual train on a regular basis.
- The “Ideal Train Profile” is essentially a decision support tool for seat capacity optimization, as there can be more than 5,000 different ticket-class combinations on a single train journey.
i.The pilot project began on 7 zonal railways: The Eastern, Central, Northern, Southern, South Central, Western, and West Central Railways.
- The pilot project has already been implemented in more than 200 Indian Railways trains.
ii.The facility is anticipated to improve confirmed seat availability and boost train occupancy by up to 5%.
iii.The modules were developed by an in-house team, led by R Gopalakrishnan of the Centre of Railway Information Systems (CRIS), an organization under the Ministry of Railways.
- CRIS develops and maintains software for key areas of the Indian Railways.
Leveraging the “Ideal Train Profile” to Simplify Seat Allocation
i.The demand for accommodations fluctuates across all trains depending on a number of factors rather than constantly following an end-to-end pattern.
- The factors include origin-destination pairs, timings, class of accommodation, and availability to alternative trains or means of transportation.
ii.This problem is effectively overcome by allocating accommodation quotas based on the business need of meeting demand for various origin-destination pairs.
- Historically, this has been done on the Indian Railways by analyzing historical data for a certain train or other similar trains that operate along a specific route.
iii.By adopting the Ideal Train Profile utility, railway administrators in the passenger profile cells of various zonal railways will have a decision-support tool that will help them perform seat distribution analytics on trains faster.
- The periodic review of train quotas by zonal railways will be helpful in addressing the changing demand mix due to holidays, seasonality, etc.
MeitY notifies 3 Griecance Appellate Committees on IT Rules 2021 to Address Users Appeal Against Social Media PlatformsOn 28th January 2023, The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(MeitY) notified that the government has established 3 Grievance Appellate Committees (GACs), with 3 members each, to address the grievances of the users against the content moderation decisions of social media platforms such as Twitter and facebook in India.
- The GACs are established based on the Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules, 2021 (“IT Rules 2021”) amended in October 2022.
Member of GACs:
i.The 2 GACs will have chairperson and 2 whole time members.
ii.The chairperson will be a government official while the members are retired government officials and senior executives from different industries.
iii.The members of the committee appointed for a 3 years term.
About Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(MeitY):
Union Minister– Ashwini Vaishnaw(Rajya Sabha- Odisha)
Minister of State– Rajeev Chandrasekhar(Rajya Sabha- Karnataka)
Suzuki to use Cow Dung for its CNG Cars; Maruti Suzuki & NDDB signed MoU
In 2022, while announcing its Growth strategy for 2030, Suzuki Motor Corporation (SMC), India’s largest car manufacturer, announced that it will use cow dung to power its Compressed natural gas (CNG) cars.
Maruti Suzuki, National Dairy Development Board (NDDB), and Banas Dairy, Asia’s largest dairy manufacturer, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- SMC announced that it will launch 6 models of battery Electric Vehicles (EVs) by financial year (FY) 2030
- The SMC expects that the Indian market will expand through FY2030, but it also expects that despite a decline in product-related CO2 (carbon dioxide) emissions, there will still be a rise in overall CO2 emissions.
- SMC challenges itself to strike a balance between increasing sales units and reducing total CO2 emissions.
- The biogas could be used for Suzuki’s CNG models, which make up over 70% of the CNG car market in India.
- By 2030, 50% of passenger cars sold in India are predicted to be EVs, and manufacturers like Tata Motors and Mahindra & Mahindra have announced to launch of 10 EV models by 2026 and 5 EV models by 2027.
MeitY Secretary Alkesh Kumar Sharma inaugurates PCB Recycling Facility at C-MET
On 27th January 2023, Alkesh Kumar Sharma, the Secretary of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), inaugurated 1Ton/day Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Recycling facility at the Centre for Materials for Electronics Technology (C-MET), an autonomous scientific society under MeitY in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- The indigenously developed e-waste recycling technologies will boost India’s Mission to Atmanirbharata and circular economy.
- The Center of Excellence (CoE) on E-waste Management, the first of its kind in India, was established by C-MET using the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model.
- CoE on E-waste management has developed all varieties of e-waste recycling technologies including spent PCB, Li-Ion Battery, Permanent magnet and Si-solar cells etc.
- The CoE-developed PCB recycling technology has reached Technology Readiness Level 6 and is now prepared for commercialization. In addition to developing recycling processes, C-MET also designed and fabricated necessary processing equipment for the same.
Meghalaya’s Shillong is set to host Space20 programme of G20 in April 2023
Meghalaya Governor BD Mishra, announced that as a part of the G20 (Group of 20) programme, Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya, is set to host the Space 20 programme on 17th and 18th April 2023. The Space20 programme will discuss the contribution of the space partnerships to the economy of the countries.
- This is the continuation of the Space Economy leaders meeting held by the National Space Agencies of G20 Countries in 2020. .
- India has decided to host around 200 G20 meetings across India during its yearlong Presidency of G20. India holds the Presidency of the G20 from 1st December 2022 to 30th November 2023.
This is initiated with an aim to make space economy a formal agenda item of G20 Summits.
Note – The G20 or Group of 20 is an intergovernmental forum of the world’s major developed and developing economies and India assumed its Presidency for one year from 1st December 2022.
- G20 comprises Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom (UK), the United States (US), and the European Union (EU).
3rd Edition of Interpol YGPLP begins in New Delhi; Aims to Build Public-Police Trust
On 25th January 2023, the 3rd edition of the Interpol Young Global Police Leaders Programme (YGPLP) began in New Delhi, Delhi. The 9-day Interpol YGPLP will end on 2nd February 2023.
The theme of the 3rd Interpol YGPLP is “Trust”, which aims to build trust between public-police and also to build trust factors between international police forces in the era of technology.
- Around 60 participants from 44 countries took part in the event, which is being organised by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- During the programme, the participants will visit CBI Headquarters, Global Operations Center, Delhi Police Headquarters, Maharashtra Police Headquarters and Mumbai Police Control Room.
The YGPLP is a unique INTERPOL initiative, established in 2019, that guides selected officers on the path to international leadership.
- 2nd Interpol YGPLP was held in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) from 13th to 17th March 2022 under the theme ‘Connecting Minds, Creating the Future’(theme of Dubai Expo).
South Africa to host 15th BRICS summit at Durban in late August 2023
On 26th January 2023, Sergei Lavrov, the foreign minister of Russia, and Osman Saleh, the foreign minister of the State of Eritrea, jointly announced South Africa’s Durban as a host of the 15th BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa) Summit. The summit will be held in August 2023.
- Previously, South Africa hosted the 5th BRICS Summit from 26 to 27 March 2013.
- In April 2011, South Africa participated, for the first time, in the 3rd BRICS Summit held in Sanya, China. Since 2009, the BRICS leaders have convened 14 formal meetings and 9 informal meetings.
Star Health & Allied Insurance Partners with PNB for a Long Term Bancassurance Agreement
Star Health and Allied Insurance, renewed its strategic corporate agency Bancassurance tie-up with Punjab National Bank (PNB) for a long-term period.
- PNB will continue to distribute Star Health’s insurance products across all their branches pan India.
i.Under the agreement, Star Health’s best-in-class health insurance products will be available through the PNB’s distribution network across India, providing customers with a one-stop solution for all their health insurance needs.
ii.This partnership shall enable both PNB and Star Health to further increase insurance penetration across India and ensure that health insurance is easily accessible across regions..
About Punjab National Bank (PNB):
Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) – Atul Kumar Goel
Headquarters – New Delhi, Delhi
Establishment – 1895
Tagline – The name you can bank upon
NPST Launches a UPI API engine TimePay Evok for PAPG
NPST (Network People Services Technologies Ltd), a banking technology provider, has launched Timepay Evok, a UPI (Unified Payments Interface) API (Application Programming Interface) engine for PAPGs (Payment Aggregators and Payment Gateways).
Features of Timepay Evok:
i.The Timepay Evok, which is a modern-day payment platform will act as a one-stop UPI payment solution for digital merchants and ensures secure, reliable, and fast-paced payment collections.
ii.It has inbuilt solutions such as merchant onboarding, auto reconciliation, merchant dispute resolution and strong data points for customer support.
iii.It offers the QR POS (Quick Response Point of Sale) solution with UPI-based payments to make secure transactions and UPI AutoPay for making recurring payments through UPI.
- In June 2021, NPST received a Third-Party Application Provider (TPAP) registration from the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) for its TimePay solution.
- TPAPs are third-party providers like Google Pay, Amazon Pay or PhonePe that generate a distinct UPI handle for their customers.
- It is an authorized Merchant Payment Service Provider, approved by NPCI, acquiring merchants, and providing payment applications to users across various segments.
- It serves as a Fintech partner to banks and financial institutes operating as Technology Service Providers (TSP), providing a certified digital payment solution including Mobile Banking, IMPS (Immediate Payment Service), Bhim UPI, and Wallet platform.
iii.About UPI (Unified Payments Interface):
- It was developed by the NPCI and launched in 2016. It facilitates 24*7 instant payments using a Virtual Payment Address (VPA) created by the customer instead of his/her bank account number.
- It provides security in both person-to-person (P2P) and person-to-merchant (P2M) transactions.
- Now it has made digital payments a habit and growing Indians towards a cashless economy.
- In December 2022, 382 banks were live on the UPI interface, with 7.82 billion financial transactions being carried out for a total value of nearly Rs. 12.82 trillion.
RenewBuy Launches Customised Health Insurance Product – RenewBuy Health Wellness planRenewBuy has launched its first line of customised health insurance products, RenewBuy Health Wellness plan with a focus on the large uninsured segment beyond the tier 1 markets.
- This new product aims to bridge that gap in purchasing such products in smaller cities compared to metro cities and has introduced various benefits in pre-hospitalization and Out-Patient Department (OPD) treatments.
About the product:
i.The product has new-age health insurance benefits, ranging from coverage of Rs. 2-5 lakhs and is also available in three variants including Gold Plan, Silver Plan and Wellness Plan.
ii.Benefits – Senior citizens are offered with up to 70 percent lower premiums and also up to 50 percent lower premiums for people till 59 years of age and also includes maternity cover with a significantly low waiting period.
- All the 3- variants do not require any medical underwriting and offer OPD benefits, unlimited doctor-on-phone consultations, free lab tests, a heavy concession for offline OPD consultations, modern treatment under very low sum insured, no room rent capping and various other benefits under certain T&C.
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) – Balachander Sekhar
Headquarters – Gurugram, Haryana
Nigeria Launches Domestic Card Scheme AfriGo to Boost Cashless Economy
The Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) governor, Godwin Emefiele, launched a domestic card scheme ‘AfriGo’ to boost the cashless economy and compete with foreign cards like Mastercard and Visa.
- Objective: To save the country’s foreign transaction fees.
- Through this launch, Nigeria was joining China, Russia, India and Turkey to be a country with a domestic card scheme.
- AfriGo is owned by CBN and Nigerian banks.
- The card scheme will provide more options for domestic consumers in a cost-effective and competitive manner.
- As per Godwin Emefiele’s statement, the operations of foreign cards will continue to exist even after the launch of the domestic card.
Redesigned version of Naira:
i.Nigeria, being Africa’s biggest economy, has more than 200 million people but the majority of them still use cash because they live in rural areas where there are no banks.
ii.To promote “financial inclusion” in remote areas, the CBN announced the launch of a cash swap programme introducing a redesigned version of the local currency, the naira.
Note – Africa’s first digital currency, the e-naira was launched in October 2021.
Capital – Abuja
Currency – Nigerian naira (NGN)
President – Muhammadu Buhari
Aviva Life Insurance Launches Unit-Linked Aviva Signature Investment Plan
Aviva Life Insurance launched Aviva Signature Investment Plan, a unit-linked non-participating individual life insurance plan targeting millennial and GenX customers. The plan comes with two options, Signature Millennial and Signature GenX.
- Signature Millennial has an inbuilt premium waiver and a guaranteed amount for a dependent parent, spouse, or child after the death of the insured person. All future premiums are waived in case of death of the life insured during the policy term in the Signature Millennial option.
- While, Signature GenX enables customers to grow their wealth for up to 60 years through disciplined monthly savings.
Benefits – zero allocation charges, periodic milestone boosters every 3rd year starting at the end of the 6th policy year, up to 100 per cent mortality & policy administration charges at maturity, employs the “RetireSafe Strategy” to safeguard the accrued returns, and others.
In addition, the plan comes with various other benefits, including death benefits, top-up premium facility, rewards, premium redirection, and premium redirection.
Aditya-L1: India’s 1st mission to Study the Sun to be launched by June-July 2023The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to launch the Aditya-L1 mission, 1st Indian space mission to observe the Sun and the solar corona, to the L1 orbit (which is the first Lagrangian point of the Sun-Earth system) by June or July 2023 since the launch window for the mission would close by August 2023.
- L1 orbit allows Aditya-L1 to look at the Sun continuously.
i. The Aditya-1 Mission, originally known as Aditya-L1, was initially meant to put into an 800-kilometre (km) low-Earth orbit (LEO) as a 400-kg class satellite but it was later decided that the satellite would be launched into a halo orbit around the Sun-Earth system’s first Lagrangian Point (L1).
ii. Aditya-L1 is equipped with a total of 7 payloads, the Visible Emission Line Coronagraph (VELC) being the main one.
The 7 Payloads of Aditya-L1:
- visible Emission Line Coronagraph (VELC),
- Solar Ultraviolet Imaging Telescope (SUIT),
- Solar Low Energy X-ray Spectrometer (SoLEXS),
- High Energy L1 Orbiting X-ray Spectrometer (HEL1OS),
- Aditya Solar Wind Particle Experiment (ASPEX),
- Plasma Analyser Package for Aditya (PAPA), and
- Advanced tri-axial high-resolution digital magnetometers.
i. On 26th January 2023, the ISRO received the Visible Emission Line Coronagraph (VELC), the largest payload to be carried on board the Aditya-L1, from the IIA team for integration with other payloads on board the satellite.
- VELC was created and manufactured by the Indian Institute of Astrophysics(IIA) in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
ii. The VELC was handed over at the Center for Research and Education in Science and Technology (CREST) campus of IIA in the presence of S Somanath, Chairman of ISRO.
iii. The payload has been transported to the UR Rao Satellite Centre in Bengaluru, Karnataka on January 27.
Note: Scientists at the IIA, Bengaluru, Karnataka, have spent over 15 years building and assembling nearly 40 different optical elements in a payload.
i. According to Raghavendra Prasad, Principal Investigator of the VELC payload, the payload will be able to observe the corona continuously, and the data provided by it is expected to answer many outstanding problems in the field of solar astronomy.
ii. VELC can image it as close to 1.05 times the solar radius.
iii. It can also do imaging, spectroscopy, and polarimetry at the same time, and can take observations at a very high resolution (level of detail) and many times a second.
Hyderabad Formula E-Prix announces Greenko as Title Partner
Greenko, a dispatchable renewables company, has been named the title sponsor of the 1st ABB FIA Formula E World Championship race which will be held in India. The Formula E 2023 will be held in Hyderabad, Telangana, on 11th February 2023.
- Greenko will use renewable energy to power the entire 2023 Greenko Hyderabad E-Prix event, making it the world’s first Net Zero event of this scale.
- Greenko’s core values align with the championship’s mission of accelerating towards a clean energy future as the title partner.
- Core, a lifestyle brand, was named as the new title sponsor of the Formula E 2023 CORE Diriyah E-Prix in Saudi Arabia, which was held within the town walls of the UNESCO World Heritage site on 27th and 28th January 2023.
Veteran Telugu Actress & Former MP Jamuna Passed Away
On 27th January 2023, Veteran Telugu film actor and former parliamentarian Jamuna passed away in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Jamuna was born on 30th August 1936 in Hampi, Madras Presidency, British India (now Karnataka, India).
i. Jamuna began her career in acting at the age of 15. In 1952, she debuted in the Telugu film “Puttillu” directed by Garikipati Raja Rao.
ii. She also debuted in the Tamil film “Panam Paduthum Padu” in 1954, the Kannada film “AAdarsha Sathi” in 1955, and the Hindi film “Miss Mary” in 1957.
iii. Some of her famous movies are “Missiamma”, “Tenali Ramakrishna”, “Bhookailas”, “Kadan Vaangi Kalyaanam”, “Anbu Sagodhararhal”, “Rathnagiri Rahasya”, “Ek Raaz”, and “Hamrahi”.
iv. Jamuna was known as the ‘Satyabhama’ of the silver screen and the roles played by her symbolized self-confidence and women’s empowerment.
v. In the 1980s, she joined the Indian National Congress(INC). She was elected to Lok Sabha from Rajahmundry in Andhra Pradesh on behalf of the Congress in 1989.
The 17th Data Privacy Day – 28th January 2023
Data Privacy Day or Data Protection Day is annually observed across the globe on January 28. It is an international initiative to raise awareness about the significance of protecting Data Privacy Day 2023, promoting trust, and respecting privacy.
- The day commemorates the anniversary of the opening for signature of Convention 108, the global data protection Convention, on 28th January 1981.
- 28th January 2023 marks the 17th edition of Data Protection Day.
Data Protection Day is now celebrated globally and is called “Privacy Day” outside Europe.
Goal: To raise awareness of data protection issues and inform people of their rights and how to exercise them.
Data Privacy Day India:
Data Security Council of India (DSCI), a not-for-profit, industry body on data protection in India, set up by the National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM), is running an awareness campaign on the theme of ‘Think Privacy First’.
i. On 28th January 2006, the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe decided to launch Data Protection Day and observe it as an annual celebration.
ii. The 1st ever Data Protection Day was observed on 28th January 2007.
i. The title of Convention 108 is “Convention for the protection of individuals with regard to the automatic processing of personal data”.
ii. This Convention is the 1st legally binding international instrument that protects individuals from abuses associated with the collection and processing of personal data while also attempting to regulate the transfrontier flow of personal data.
iii. Convention 108 has influenced and shaped privacy and data protection for more than 40 years.
iv. The Committee of Convention 108 established the Stefano Rodotà Award to recognise innovative and original academic research projects in the field of data protection. Click here for the winners of the Stefano Rodotà Award 2023.
Our Recent Posts:
- Current Affairs – 2 November 2023
- Current Affairs – 1 November 2023
- Current Affairs – 31 October 2023
- Current Affairs – 29 & 30 October 2023
- Current Affairs – 28 October 2023