- Nobel Prize was instituted by the inventor of dyanamite, Alfred Bernanrd Nobel.The awards are being given since 1901.
- This award is given every year to those eminent persons who have made pioneering and path breaking discoveries in the fileds of Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Pece, Literature and Economics.
- The Nobel for Economics was instituted in 1964 and was first given in 1969.
- Rabindranath Tagore was the first Indian to receive the honour for his work Gitanjali.
- 8 Indians won Nobel so far.
- Malala Yousafzai was the youngest ( 17 yesrs ) to have received the honour.
- All the prizes are given in Stockhom, where as Peace prize is given in Oslo.
- Marie Curie was the first woman and the first person to receive the honour twice.
- The oldest person to receive the honour is Francis Peyton Rous ( at the age of 87 years.)
- USA is the country with highest number of Nobel laureates.
- No awards were given in the period of 1940-42.(there was no awarding due to the world war)
THE FIRST PERSONS TO WIN THE NOBEL IN VARIOUS FIELDS:
PHYSICS: Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen, Germany
CHEMISTRY: JcobusHernicus VAn’t Hoff
PHYSIOLOGY: Emil Adolf Von Behring
LITERATURE: Sully Prudhomme( France)
PEACE: Jean Henry Dunant( Germany) and Frederic Passy(France)
ECONOMICS: Ragnar Frisch( Norway) & Jan Tinbergen ( Netherlands)
Marie Curie for Physics (1903) and Chemistry(1911)
Linus Pauling for Chemistry (1954) and Peace ( 1962)
John Bardeen for Physics(1956& 1972)
Frederick Sanger for Chemistry (1958 & 1980)